Friday, August 1, 2014

Addind a weak hive to a strong one

 Here's the strong hive that refused to stop swarming. If my count is accurate, it has swarmed four times so far this year. That's gotta be some kind of record for such a small number of bees. I put a medium super (box) on before I banished this hive to the country and expected it to be full of honey when I checked on it last week. No luck. It was empty, even though the hive had incredible activity. The neighbor said that they had swarmed recently. It could be that they may swarm again. In August no less!

Anyway, I had a queenless hive in the city and thought if I added it to the hive in the country, it would benefit the queenless bees and at the same time encourage the existing bees to go up. Here, you see three supers (boxes). The middle is completely empty and the top is about half comb with some honey. I should mention that there is now a bottom and top entrance as group that was added are used to a top entrance and I hoped it also might encourage upward movement from the existing group.

No comments: