Saturday, June 28, 2014

All-you-can-collect-corn Pollen

Since I got the bees, I've been reading Michael Bush's The Practical Bee Keeper. By it's nature, it's a little random sometimes, nonetheless it's an excellent overview and even more importantly, his has a informed, consistent philosophy that makes beekeeping more logical and simplistic, without being wishy-washy. Some parts of the book consist of Q&A from his website and one submission asks what they should grow in order to supply the bees with pollen and his reply is unless your property is several square kilometers large, you need not worry about it. That being said, I've been growing corn again this season and unexpectedly the bees have taken to it. I can't help but wonder how the corn pollen might contribute to the flavor of honey. Something for my undiscriminating palate to look forward to.
Planning a visit to the bees-in-exile sometime in the next week. I'll take pictures and we'll see how they're getting on.

No comments: