Friday, June 6, 2014

Banned bees, unmelted wax and first honey

Having had quite enough of chasing swarms around my neighborhood and risking any misunderstandings that could occur with the neighbors, the original hive I got in April has been exiled to the "cottage" in Asuke, Toyota. They swarmed 3 or 4 times and eventually the novelty of that particular hive wore off. The 2 swarms I captured are still being kept in the garden in the city and are busy at brood and honey production. Also, I have the extra frames and boxes should the new queens prove to be a prolific layers and cause the population to spike like the original hive.
 
 The burr comb that formed in April broke off last week when I transferred the frames into a new box. I didn't like the bee seller's box design (the frames were fine though), so it became necessary to move frames around. I also gave the new swarms some brood/honey frames from the original hive. For sure they appreciated it. 
I watched a video on Youtube about melting wax with a solar cooker. The author said to use paper towel. I used a window and a concrete mixing tub for the cooker (it was a reasonable fit, so I don't imagine much heat escaped) and a BBQ grill covered in paper towel to prevent gunk, brood, dead bees from getting into the wax which was collected in a metal pan in the bottom. The paper towel became something similar to wax paper, but very little wax collected in the pan. I'm going to try regular old window screen as a filter next time and see how that works out.

Here's one of the jars of honey I got from the broken burr comb. I gave the other to the next door neighbor for being good sports. I suppose I got about 600ml from the frame size piece of comb. It's worth mentioning that the comb was mostly brood, so not much honey and a bit of a hit to the bees' numbers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Hannah and I work as a beekeeper in London, studying bees and their diseases etc. I am visiting Japan in April from the 1st to the 10th and would like to meet beekeepers, especially those producing cherry blossom honey. Please let me know if you are willing to meet and I can bring some London honey with me for you.
Many thanks,
Hannah
hannah.a.reeves@hotmail.com