Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Queen cups, a nuc and a new super


Here we have a few queen cups. You'll notice their unusual shape compared to regular comb. The ones that I was able to see inside seemed to contain very small larva. In a few weeks, there promises to be a new queen.

I made a new super(box) and placed on top of the old one. The likely reason the queen cups were made was a lack of space in the bottom super. I think I caught the situation just in time by removing the frames that contained the queen cups and placing them in a nuc and creating more space in the hive by adding another super. A week later and they might have swarmed. The frames that were put in the nuc are the two on top of the hive.

This is the nuc. It doesn't look especially active from the outside, but it's full of bees. I imagine their main concern is raising the queens. The two frames are full of honey and brood, so not foraging much shouldn't affect the nuc for the time being.

No comments: