Saturday, May 24, 2014

Uh oh... Whew... uh oh


As the kids were getting ready for school Friday, we were listening CBC radio and by chance there was a story about urban beekeeping and swarms. Coincidentally, I went to the garden after lunch and there was a swarm gathered around on one of the stems of the broad bean plants. I promptly removed it and emptied it into a box feeling somewhat self-satisfied having caught my first swarm and without frightening any of the neighbors.
The kids came home around four and excitedly told me about the swarm that took up residence in the inner garden at their school that afternoon. I couldn't believe. I checked the three boxes in the garden and confirmed that the original box and the nuc were chock-full and of course the new hive that contained the swarm was still occupied.
Could it be mine? It's too big a coincidence. This morning (the following day) we went to the school and spoke with the principal and made an appointment to deal with the problem Monday morning. He was reluctant to let me take care of it by myself, because I would have had to disassemble part of the deck (it's held together by screws). I'll have to do it with the superintendent.
Hopefully, all will go smoothly.

No comments: